Thursday, January 19, 2012

Understanding Comics



I was really impressed with McCloud's 'Understanding Comics'. I didn't know what to expect but I was surprised at how in depth the comic gets, and I really wasn't expecting it. The points were clear and very easy to understand, which made it a joy to read. I was most interested in the way McCloud talks about how simplifying people and objects makes them more relatable. If you see a realistic picture of a face, you see someone else. If you see a simplified face, you see yourself. Realistic renderings of a room are more complex, but a simplified, cartoon comic room seems to be bustling with life. When items are simplified, its easier to give them a personality.
Another thing I enjoyed was McClouds comparison between Western and Eastern comics. As someone who enjoys comics from both places, I knew the two were different, but I never really noticed the way McCloud did. Western comics are quick and action packed, whereas Eastern comics move more slowly focusing more on mood and emotion of the story. They're the same kind of vessel for storytelling, yet refreshingly different.

No comments:

Post a Comment